Thursday, March 19, 2009

Refrigerator Organizing Tips

I enjoy household tips that make life a little easier and hope to share some with you over the next few months. Today I am giving you my favorite refrigerator organizing tips.


My son, Caleb, loves string cheese and I like it as a healthy snack for him. I use an extra coffee mug to put it within easy reach so the frig door doesn't stay open too long letting the cold out.


Caleb loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and wants them almost every day. I bought this plastic bin (pictured above) at a discount store and put bread, natural peanut butter (that needs refrigeration) and jars of jelly in it. Now I just grab the whole thing out of the frig when it's time to make his lunch (see photo below). You can do the same with any type of sandwich makings or the items for your morning toast or bagel. If you use sandwich bags you can store them in there too, but we like reuseable containers.

I wipe the main shelves of my refrigerator out every week to keep it clean and shiny--usually doing this right before my big grocery shopping trip when the shelves are the most empty. I rotate through cleaning the door shelves, meat and vegetable bins which don't need to be cleaned as often. I line the bins with sections of newspaper to make cleaning them a breeze. We prefer the comics section ☺ The newsprint neutralizes odors and the newspaper soaks up spills. Now I lift the newspaper out and replace it periodically instead of having to remove the bins and wash them.


Since I instigated these organization tips, my life has been just a little easier.  I hope you find them helpful.  I'd love to learn more. If you have a great refrigerator tip, please leave me a comment!

6 comments:

  1. Great ideas. I use those same white baskets to organize under our bathroom sink. DH and I each have one and we take it out while getting cleaned up, then stick the whole thing back under there to put it away. Very handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be handy. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I'm laughing our refriderators could be twins...and everything in it too..:)
    Robin
    CreationsAnew Photography & Design

    ReplyDelete