Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My Studio: packing and shipping

When you work from home sometimes space can be limited. Since we moved from Utah to Florida, I no longer have a large basement studio space so I'm thankful that I have a decent sized office space to work in. I'll show you more photos another time, but I wanted to show you my packaging/shipping/receiving station today.

My Shipping and Receiving station in my home studio

The quilt on the wall is one that my mom made and I hand quilted. The colors look nice in this room.  It is called "Peppermint and Sassafrass." The rug is one my husband purchased while stationed in Turkey. The picture on the wall to the left is one we purchased in South Korea when we lived there and it shows plum blossoms and has a Bible verse (I Thess 5:16-18) written in Korean.

Notice the bed risers that I've used to increase the height of the table
It is such a luxury to have one clear flat surface to pack outgoing orders and to unpack supply orders on. I raised the table up to waist level with inexpensive bed risers. I placed small pieces of non-slip mat in the top of the bed risers to keep them from sliding around. When I do a show I use this table and the bed risers so it does double duty then. It's a 5 ft folding table so it's easy to take with me. On the table I keep a paper cutter to trim down the shipping labels/postage that I print off of my computer to fit on my small jewelry packages. I also have a postage meter, some customs slips for International orders, business cards, packaging tape and a few other supplies. On the metal shelf unit to the right I keep all of my tissue paper, boxes, padded envelopes, jewelry boxes, pouches and everything else I need for shipping.  Inventory fits underneath so it's handy to ship as well as some boxes that are packed with lights, tablecloths and display items for shows.

We tend to move a lot so I've never bothered to invest in permanent office or studio furniture. This will have to do until my husband retires and we stop moving. It is very functional. I hope you enjoyed the mini tour.

Sue

7 comments:

  1. That works very well, and I LOVE that you have a beautiful quilt to look at while you work on packaging. I use my ironing board. It is always set up in my studio/sewing room so is a very handy surface for packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the glimpse into your studio. I can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever! I love your quilt, picture and rug. The risers are such a great solution.

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have that organized quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You having a shipping station that is too cute! You have WAY more room that I do lol! Very organized!

    Stopping by from the CASTTEAM midweek blog blitz! Many blessings to you, your family, and your business!

    ~Chari

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing your great organizing ideas. Is your actual work space as neat as your packing station? :) I have had a hard time keeping my areas neat...

    ReplyDelete