Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Making Something for Myself


On rare occasions I actually get around to making a special piece of jewelry for myself.  I made this wire wrapped pendant in a class a few years ago and have worn it a few times, but never had the right chain or cord to showcase it properly.


I recently purchased some kumihimo (Japenese braiding technique) books and a kumihimo disk and bobbins. With these tools I am able to use the supply of satin cord I already have that I use to make satin necklace cords from and create something even more special and elaborate.



I blended the cord colors to pull out the colors in the gemstone cabachon that I used to make the pendant.


I ended up with a beautiful piece in colors that match my hair and complexion very well.


Now that I've learned the technique, I am working on several other pieces to list in my Etsy shop and on my website.



8 comments:

  1. I purchased the tools necessary to learn kumihimo awhile back and need to sit down and really learn how to do it well. I love the outcome.. always so pretty!
    The colors you chose for this are just lovely and go so well with the cabochon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will really enjoy kumihimo, Melanie. The basic pattern is very easy and something you can do while watching TV in the evenings. Of course, it can then be as complicated as you like . . .

      Delete
  2. That turned out very nice. I'm sure it's fun to learn new things, especially when they turn out so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely stunning! What a cool technique, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the necklace really makes the pendant! I love that style necklace.....very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The necklace is a nice compliment to the pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice that you took the time to make something for yourself Sometimes we get so caught up with stocking things for our business that we never do take the time for ourselves. Came out very nice!

    ReplyDelete